ippudo inspired Japanese Hirata Pork Buns are an entree recipe made in February 17, 2019.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
For the pork:
- 2-1/2 lb Slab of Pork Belly
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the sauce (for the whole amount of pork):
- 1 cup of Hoisin Sauce
- 1/4 cup of Water
- 4 Tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 4 Tbsp of Mirin
- 2 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar
For additional ingredients:
- Bao Buns, steamed according to package directions
- Iceberg Lettuce
Preparation[edit | edit source]
- 1. ) Preheat your oven to 325 degrees, place one oven rack in the middle of the oven followed by another rack placed directly under the middle one.
- 2. ) Pat dry both sides of the pork belly really well, then carefully score the top of the pork belly (carefully not to go all the way through) and season well with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the pork directly on top of the middle rack of your oven and place a large baking pan (about the same size as the slab of pork) filled halfway with water on the rack directly under the pork.
- 3. ) Roast the pork for about 2.5 hours, then remove from the oven, and let it rest covered with aluminum foil for about half an hour.
- 4. ) Increase your oven temperature to 350 degrees and meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce and set it aside.
- 5. ) Slice the pork into about 1/2 inch thick slices (cut them however you have to so they fit on your buns) place in a small baking dish, pour the sauce all over the top (making sure to move the pork slices around to insure each piece is well covered in the sauce) cover with foil and pop in the oven for 30 minutes.
- 6. ) Steam your buns according to package directions, then once the pork is done, assemble your buns by adding the pork, a dollop of mayo and a piece of iceberg lettuce. Dig in right away!
Video[edit | edit source]
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.